Artist:
Catalina Niculescu (born 1978 in Bucharest, Romania; lives and works in London, England).

Materials:
HD video; 4 episodes, 21 mins each.

Description:
“Catalina Niculescu’s film looks at the resonance of the interiors and exteriors of the Cité Radieuse, the renown building complex designed in Marseille, Southern France, by architect Le Corbusier. The artist performs the place with the aid of a portable sculpture of her own making: it folds and unfolds and measures the space, drawing the viewer’s attention to materials, light fixtures and transient passageways.”
—”Prompted,” Artycok.tv

“The Modulor combines a purist obsession relying on absolutely beautiful and balanced measures with the idea of architecture as a microcosm of natural laws governed by rules and calculations.
Ever present in my films and performances for this particular piece I replace the actual body with a substitute in order to introduce a more abstract element relating to this very geometric, simple though complex building, full of delicate balancings. A wooden meter composed of different measurements of my body, e.g. height, the length from elbow to fingertips, knee to toes, would be placed in the architectural environment to juxtapose my very personal golden section with the elaborate modulor, placed around the building as a symbol for my absent presence to facilitate an accurate study of the relationship between architecture and body.”
—Catalina Niculescu, “Blue Moon,” Domus, December 31, 2009.